Belgium has adopted 3 NAPs:
Belgium is currently in the drafting process for its fourth NAP, which should be published early next year.
Objectives of the third NAP:
- To promote the implementation of an international regulatory framework;
- To integrate gender perspectives in actions taken by Belgium in conflicts, peace and security;
- To fight against all forms of violence against women and girls, and specifically sexual violence;
- To encourage women to participate in processes regarding conflict, peace and security;
- To support the Agenda for Women, Peace and Security;
- To ensure the oversight and monitoring of the implementation of the Agenda for Women, Peace and Security and of the NAP.
The NAP applies both within Belgium and to Belgium’s policy in multilateral organizations and countries with Belgium has bilateral relations and partnerships. In three targeted countries, the coordinated actions of the departments will serve as an opportunity to provide more in-depth experience. These countries are Burkina Faso, the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Mali.
The drafting of the NAP was coordinated by the Institute for Gender Equality, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation, and developed in cooperation with the Ministries of Defense, Interior and of Justice as well as in consultation with civil society.